What’s the point of traveling if you don’t keep your body, mind, and spirit healthy? Traveling with a yoga mat is a great way to stay grounded and focused on both your physical and spiritual well-being. Read this article to find out how I do it, and what my top tips are for buying the best travel yoga mat!
- Why Travel With a Yoga Mat?
- Travel With A Yoga mat As a Carry-On (Hand Luggage)
- How to Carry a Yoga Mat When Travelling
- Things To Look For in Travel Yoga Mats
- How do you fold a thick yoga mat?
- Travel Yoga MatAirline recommendations
- Best Travel Yoga Mats
- What Do I Recommend To Travel With a Yoga Mat?
Why Travel With a Yoga Mat?
If you’re a yoga enthusiast, then you know that one of the most important things to bring with you on any trip is your yoga mat. Not only does it provide a comfortable and stable surface for your practice, but it also allows you to connect with your yoga community no matter where you are in the world.
There are a few things to consider when choosing a travel yoga mat, such as weight, thickness, and material. You’ll also want to make sure that your travel mat is easy to clean and transport.
Bringing a yoga mat on a plane when you travel can be beneficial for several reasons. Here are a few:
- Consistency: Having your own yoga mat allows you to maintain your practice and stay consistent with your routine, no matter where you are.
- Hygiene: Using a hotel or rental yoga mat can be unsanitary. Bringing your own mat ensures that you are practicing on a clean surface.
- Comfort: A personal yoga mat can provide a sense of familiarity and comfort while away from home.
- Convenience: A travel yoga mat is often lightweight and easy to pack, making it convenient to bring along on trips.
- Cost-effective: Renting or buying a mat in another location can be expensive. Bringing your own can save you money in the long run.
- Overall, a yoga mat provides an opportunity to continue your practice, maintain hygiene, and save money while on the go.
In this detailled guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know before you decide to travel with a yoga mat, from the best mats for travel to how to care for your mat while on the road.
Travel With A Yoga mat As a Carry-On (Hand Luggage)
Traveling with a specialized travel yoga mat as a carry-on (hand luggage) is a great way to ensure that your mat stays with you at all times during your travels. Here are a few tips to help you pack your yoga mat as hand luggage:
- Choose a lightweight, compact yoga mat. Many travel mats are specifically designed to be lightweight and easy to pack, making them perfect for carrying on a plane.
- Use a carrying strap or bag. Many yoga mats come with a carrying strap or bag, which makes it easy to pack and carry the mat as hand luggage.
- Pack the mat in a durable, protective bag. A padded or reinforced bag can help protect your mat from damage during travel.
- Check with your airline regarding size and weight restrictions for carry-on baggage. Some airlines have specific rules regarding the size and weight of carry-on items, so it’s important to check with your airline in advance.
- Be prepared to demonstrate the Yoga mat as it’s not a common item to carry on, so security might ask you to unfold it to show that it’s actually a Yoga mat.
By following these tips, you can easily pack your yoga mat as hand luggage and ensure that it stays with you throughout your travels.
|Manduka prolite yoga mat||4.7mm||1.8kg/3.9lb||61cm/24″|
|Manduka pro travel yoga mat||2.5mm||1.1kg/2.4lb||60cm/24″|
|Lululemon The Reversible Mat||5mm||2.38kg/5.24lb||66cm/26″|
|Lululemon Take Form||5mm||2.24kg/4.9lb||66cm/26″|
|Lululemon The Reversible Mat||3mm||1.76kg/3.87lb||66cm/26″|
|Jade Harmony mat||3/16″||2.3kg/5lb||61cm/24″|
|Jade Elite S||3/16″||2.3kg/5lb||61cm/24″|
|Lifeform yoga mat||4.2mm||2.5kg/5.5lb||68cm/27″|
|Gaiam Performance dry-grip||5mm||4.25lb/9.4lb|
How to Carry a Yoga Mat When Travelling
Yoga travel mats are essential for many yogis, but they can be a pain to carry around when traveling. Here are a few easy tips on how to bring your own yoga mat with you when you travel:
1. If you’re flying, pack your yoga mat in your carry-on bag. This will prevent it from getting damaged or lost in luggage.
2. If you’re driving, put your yoga mat in the trunk of the car so it doesn’t get dirty or damaged.
3. When staying in a hotel, use the yoga mat as a mattress topper to make your bed more comfortable.
4. Use a yoga mat bag to protect your mat and make it easier to carry.
5. If you’re going on a hike or camping, bring along a lightweight, portable yoga mat.
Things To Look For in Travel Yoga Mats
When you are looking for a travel yoga mat, there are a few things that you should keep in mind. First and foremost, you want a mat that is lightweight and easy to carry. This is important because you don’t want to be lugging around a heavy mat when you are trying to travel light. Secondly, you want a mat that is easy to clean. This is important because you will likely be doing a lot of sweating on your mat while you practice yoga, and you don’t want to be carrying around a dirty mat. Finally, you want a mat that is comfortable to practice on. This is important because you want to be able to focus on your practice, and not on the discomfort of your travel mat.
How to Clean Your Mat
Your yoga mat is an important tool in your practice, and it’s important to keep it clean to avoid the build-up of germs and bacteria. Here are some tips on how to clean your yoga mat:
-Wipe down your mat after each use with a damp cloth.
-Deep clean your mat periodically with a mixture of warm water and mild soap.
-Don’t forget to dry your mat thoroughly after cleaning it to prevent mildew or mold from forming.
Weight vs Comfort
When deciding what yoga mat to take with you on your travels, the two main factors to consider are weight and comfort. If you’re planning on doing a lot of yoga while you’re away, a heavier mat that provides more cushioning and support may be worth the extra weight. On the other hand, if you’re only planning on doing yoga occasionally or are trying to travel light, a lighter mat may be more suitable.
There are also other factors to consider when choosing a travel yoga mat, such as material (e.g. natural vs synthetic), thickness, grip, and portability. However, weight and comfort are usually the most important considerations for most travelers.
How do you fold a thick yoga mat?
To fold a thick yoga mat, start by laying it flat on the ground. Fold the mat in half lengthwise, then fold it in half again so that it forms a smaller rectangle. Once you have a smaller rectangle, you can fold it in half one more time to create an even smaller square. Finally, roll the mat tightly from one end to the other, using the folded edges to keep it compact as you go. This will help you to easily store and transport your thick foldable yoga mat.
Travel Yoga MatAirline recommendations
|AIRLINE||YOGA MAT AS CARRY ON?|
Best Travel Yoga Mats
Are you a yoga enthusiast who loves to travel? If so, then you know that one of the most important things to bring with you on your travels is your yoga mat. But with so many different types and brands of yoga mats out there, it can be tough to know which one is the best for traveling.
Here at The Definitive Guide, we’ve put together a list of the top travel yoga mats, based on our own personal experiences and the experiences of other yogis. We’ve considered factors like weight, portability, durability, and grip, to help you find the perfect mat for your next trip.
So whether you’re looking for a lightweight mat that can easily be thrown in your carry-on bag or a more heavy-duty mat that will withstand the rigors of travel, we’ve got you covered. Read on for our top picks for the best travel yoga mats.
What Do I Recommend To Travel With a Yoga Mat?
It is recommended to choose a lightweight, a compact mat that is easy to pack and carry, here are some of the travel yoga mats that I see recommended the most:
- Size and weight: Look for a mat that is lightweight and compact, making it easy to pack and carry as hand luggage.
- Durability: Choose a mat that is made from durable materials that can withstand the wear and tear of travel.
- Non-slip surface: A mat with a non-slip surface will provide a secure footing during your practice, even in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Easy to clean: A mat that is easy to clean is important, especially if you are traveling to different locations and using different facilities.
- Carrying strap or bag: Look for a mat that comes with a carrying strap or bag, which makes it easy to pack and carry as hand luggage.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable: Some travel mats are made from sustainable materials and are biodegradable, which is an added benefit if you care about the environment.
By considering these factors, you can choose a travel yoga mat that is lightweight, durable, easy to clean, and easy to pack, which will make your travels more comfortable and enjoyable.
Whether you’re a seasoned yogi or just starting out, traveling with your yoga mat can be a great way to stay fit and healthy while on the go. With a little bit of planning, you can easily pack your yoga mat so that it doesn’t take up too much space or weigh you down. And once you get to your destination, there are plenty of ways to integrate yoga into your travel routine so that you can make the most of your time away. So what are you waiting for? Start packing your yoga mat today and get ready for an unforgettable vacation experience.